Friday, May 29, 2009

Crazy cat products

I was getting a prescription filled at the grocery store pharmacy* today. While I was waiting I wandered up the pet products aisle to look at toys for my new kittens.

During my ten minute slow stroll down the aisle I found some amazing and weird pet products. Things like:
Stink Finder - an ultraviolet light that illuminates pet stains that are invisible to the naked eye (but not to the nose);
Ensure for cats, called CatSure;
And, if your cat is lactose intolerant, there is lactose-free milk treats for cats;
Baby wipes, but for your cat. When I looked later at Petco online I learned there are TONS of different pet wipe products - for dental cleaning, ear cleaning, dander damping.
This doesn't include the products with imaginative names like "Dried Fish for Cats."

Have these products always been available? I grew up in a cat household and have occasionally had cats in my adult life. And I can't tell if these products are new signs of the coming apocalypse, or if they have always been around? What I DO know is that my kittens - who have not had their stools examined for signs of milk allergies (in fact they haven't had milk since being weaned from their mom-cat), don't have dried fish to snack on, and have no toys except for the tin foil balls and paper bags littering the house - are looking for a lap to sit in. And mine is taken up with a laptop, so I'm going to sign off here and play with a kitten.

*Jodi Thomas at the Pharmacy at the Super Stop & Shop in Hingham is the BEST pharmacist I have ever worked with in my life. I've been getting prescriptions filled there for only 6 months. She recognizes my voice on the phone knows my medicine needs, and is exceptionally friendly and informative.

No comments: