Friday, October 14, 2011

My Vegetarian Experiment

October 1 is annually World Vegetarian Day (WVD) and October is Vegetarian Awareness Month. I responded to a challenge issued by the organizers of WVD. The challenge? Experiment with being a vegetarian for a day, a week or a month.

I made a pledge to try vegetarianism for a week. If I succeed I'll be entered into a drawing to win $250. (I pledged to try vegetarianism for a month the drawing prize would be $1,000.)

I'm day five into the challenge. And, what a challenge it has been. Here is a taste of my week.

Monday - Columbus Day holiday
On a "normal" holiday Monday?
  • Big breakfast with BMG at one of our favorite local diners, complete with mounds of bacon and sausage
  • Big lunch out with BMG at a spot near the water
  • Small dinner with copious amounts of wine as I geared up for the work week
During vegetarian week?
  • Toast, with butter for breakfast
  • Frozen bean and cheese burrito from Trader Joes for lunch (with an apple cider chaser)
  • Monstrous amounts of baked potato chips
  • Picked over onion rings from BMG's big lunch out with non-vegetarian friends
  • Big dinner - spinach, veggie sausage and whole wheat pasta. And copious amounts of wine as I geared up for the work week

  • Tuesday
    On a normal work day?
    • Toast with sliced turkey for breakfast
    • An apple or grapes mid-day
    • A chicken or beef burrito with guacamole from Boloco or Chipotle for lunch
    • Dinner at home or out - likely grilled chicken with pasta or rice and a veggie
    During vegetarian week?
    • Fat free pumpkin muffin with apple butter for breakfast
    • Grapes for a mid-day snack
    • Teriyaki "burrito bowl" with tofu, broccoli and onions from Boloco for lunch
    • Truffle fries and a veggie burger for lunch
    Wine tasting dinner at our favorite Boston restaurant, Brasserie JO, on Wednesday?
    On a normal day?
    • Mounds of passed appies like mini Croque Monsieurs and foie gras sammies
    • Veal and tomato bubble as an amuse bouche
    • Seared scallops in a vanilla beurre blanch
    • Frisee salad with poached quail egg
    • Braised short ribs
    • Interpreted beef Wellington with cremed potatoes
    • Cheese course with poached pears, bleu pot de creme and tomato confit
    • Pumpkin tart with burnt caramel ice cream
    • Copious amounts of wine (and martinis) beautifully paired with each course
    During vegetarian week?
    • Mini martinis during the appie course
    • Specially prepared tomato bubble as an amuse bouche (thanks Chef!)
    • Frisee salad with poached quail egg
    • Cauliflower steak with cremed potatoes
    • Gnocchi with a delicious cilantro-esque pesto
    • Cheese course with poached pears, bleu pot de creme and tomato confit
    • Pumpkin tart with burnt caramel ice cream
    • Copious amounts of wine (and martinis) beautifully paired with each course
    Thursday and Friday proceeded much like Tuesday.

    As I head into the weekend I'm confident I can live with two more days of this. I'm heading to a grocery store opening on Sunday, which is certain to be filled with tempting samples. But I'm certain http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifI'll be fine.

    I'm also certain I'd like to go back to being an omnivore. I miss bacon, and my daily turkey toast for breakfast. If I felt healthier or less physically polluted I might consider moving to a more vegetarian diet. But I don't. During the last five days I've eaten the same amount of fat and salt as I do during the week. I've also eaten WAY more dairy, in the name of "getting protein," than I should.

    It has been a good experiment. I hope I win the $250. And I'm ready for this to be done.

    No comments: