Thursday, September 22, 2016

"Almost 60"


This week's blogging prompt invited me to make a list of the things I'd like to be doing in 10 years.
 
"In 10 years, I'll be 56. What do I want to be doing when I'm 56?" I mused.
 
After two minutes of thinking, the answer came to me. "I don't want to think about being 56. About being almost 60."
 
Yup. I don't want to make this list, because it makes me anxious.
 
I'm not typically a "hate my age" person. I love celebrating my birthday. I have an annual ritual of reflecting on the year I've left, and thinking about my goals for the next year.
 
But I don't want to think about being 56. Why not?
  1. I'm a late bloomer who is just coming into her own as an adult today, at 46. Thinking ahead to almost 60 makes me anxious about all the adulting I want to squeeze into the next 10 years.
  2. I still feel like a (nearly) newlywed to a husband who is (a) five years older, and (b) managing a chronic disease. Thinking ahead to almost 60 makes me anxious wondering how much of our lives will be taken up by the evolution of his condition.
  3. I am grateful to still have my mother with me on this earth, although I am nearly 350 miles away from her. Thinking ahead to almost 60 makes me anxious wondering about her overall health and capabilities when she is 10 years older.
Until I get into right relationship with my almost 60 year-old self, my list will remain blank.


What is on your list of the things you want to be doing 10 years from now?
 

No comments: