Sunday, September 4, 2016

Happy


What are the happiest moments of your life, so far?

When I asked my 91 year-old neighbor, she said, "Having my three kids." Then she paused. "I've had times when I've felt happy, like at weddings and things. But my happiest moments were having my girls."

My list includes:
  1. My wedding, every single moment of it
  2. Nearly every memory of playing as a child
  3. Unwrapping the plush version of Camel with the Wrinkled Knees and "Angely" at two separate Christmases long long ago
  4. Seeing Rodin's "The Thinker" in real life for the first time
  5. Seeing Half Dome in Yosemite National Park for the first time
  6. Driving with BMG to Sanibel Island from the Fort Meyers International Airport in the convertible with the top down
Happiness, for me, feels like being full - of emotions like delight and joy. So full that I'm on the verge of being overwhelmed, and can't possibly take in any more.

Like my neighbor, there are many moments of my life when I've felt happy, but these are the moments, today, when I remember feeling happiest. 

No comments: