Saturday, December 31, 2016

Welcome 2017!

2016 was a weird fucking year. Consider the following things that happened just in my little corner of the world:

  • A neighbor crashed his car into my car while it was parked in my driveway
  • A con man posing as a landscaper stole nearly $1,000 from me
  • On-going health issues with BMG led to two long hospitalizations and one surgery 
  • The Downton Abbey series ended on PBS
  • "He Who Must Not Be Named" was elected president of the U.S. in a weak victory in November
  • A dear friend was raped and murdered by an apparent stranger on Christmas day

Reflecting on this list, I can see why I'm feeling so vulnerable today. Many of these experiences are big. And largely out of my control. Ugh.

I want 2017 to be a hopeful year, a year that offers life-affirming adventures, So, I also want to look at the bright spots from 2016, to see where I can draw power. These include:
  • Losing (and keeping off) nearly 25 pounds through hard work, a healthier diet, and a new found commitment to exercising
  • Learning I have only an ulcer, and not heart disease or stomach cancer
  • Being reminded of how great my community is when a retired neighbor took pity on me after the landscaper con and helped me finish a major gardening job
  • Purchasing a kayak rack after six years of kayak ownership, finally widening my boating circle exponentially
  • Taking a BMG-free trip to DC in October to visit with family and to be reunited with two dear college friends
  • Receiving multiple forms of recognition at work for excellence on the job, including be nominated and accepted into a regional women's leadership program
Analyzing this list I see that my power lies in making life affirming choices, working hard, and connecting with the positive people around me. 

Tonight, as I raise my flute of champagne in honor of the earth finishing another trip around the sun, I'll be wishing for another year of adventures, made possible with the strength I find from within, and from the people who help make my life complete.  

Welcome 2017!

No comments: