Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lucky Kitty

I have often wondered about the origin of the Lucky Kitty - you know the one that you see in Chinese restaurants or groceries - the porcelain cat with the wide eyes and the paw raised?

I started to do some research on this today, and found another blogger had already done it. So, I introduce you to the legend of the Lucky Kitty - or Japan's Beckoning Cat.

Let me summarize, so I feel like I did SOMETHING to create this post, instead of just saying, "go here."
1. Lucky Kitty is actually Japanese and it means Maneki Neko or "Beckoning Cat"
2. Maneki means "invitation"
3. If the cat's LEFT paw is raised, it is welcoming customers
3a. If the cat's RIGHT paw is raised, it is welcoming money or luck
3b. The higher the raised paw, the greater the luck
4. If the cat is BLACK, it is beckoning health
4a. If the cat is GOLD, it is beckoning riches
4b. If the cat is PINK, it is beckoning love
4c. If the cat is GREEN, it is beckoning academic achievement
4d. The most common lucky cat color is calico, as these are the rarest in Japan and therefore, the luckiest.

Thank you Wild Ink and Wikpedia!

No comments: