Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Hecticity

I've found myself using a word I believe was coined by comedian Stephen Colbert. The word you ask? Crumbalievable. I'm not even sure what it means. And, what it means isn't actually the point.

The point is that I would like to invent a word. And I thought I had until a few moments ago. Hecticity - an adjective (or is it a verb) characterizing something as unusually hectic. This led to hectivity, meaning a hectic and stressful moment/activity.

But, I didn't invent them. I googled both words and found them in Urban Dictionary.

If my life was not characterized by such hecticity lately, I might have been able to invent these words first.

There is a small passel of things I thought about inventing, only to realize someone else got to it first, like decorative, reusable match boxes that allow the user to store matches out in the open. I was so excited about this, and actually investigated the patent process. Then, while at a conference in Pittsburgh, I saw this exact same thing in the gift shop at the Andy Warhol Museum. Dammit! Other inventions I'll never get to include a butter dish that has a receptacle on the side for storing a butter knife. Brilliant! I also have a book idea that I've talked about for years. I mentioned it to BMG, a professional writer. He then mentioned it to a publisher friend. And now I am *supposed* to prepare some sort of brief (2 sentence) pitch. Is it the type of book that will allow me to pay off my student loans? Not likely.

But, I like to think of myself as creative Idea Man. Not a drone who works hard for 50-60 hours a week and doesn't have the energy to retrieve her mail each day, or wash the dishes, assemble new furniture, or call her mother. I need to do something about all this hecticity, so I can write a book, learn French, set up my iPod roadtrip, and call my mother.

No comments: