This is me after five days on the cleanse.
Do I look the same to you? I look the same to me.
Here's my before picture, as a reminder:
And yet I know I'm well-rested, have softer skin, and I'm eight pounds lighter.
In anticipation of the start of the six-week "Slim, Fit and Sexy" program, which I'm calling, "Fit, Active and Inspired," I need to continue to eat whole grain foods at least once a day. (Although the six-week program isn't JUST about food. It is also about being in right relationship with one's body - and includes a free hula hoop for every participant.)
Nevertheless, being better about *what* I eat is the starting point. So, to keep riding the whole foods train, I'm going to strive to "be a vegetarian before 6:00 (pm) on weekdays.
How am I going to do this? Careful and creative meal planning for breakfast and lunch.
The newest Wegmans' Food Market is opening in Massachusetts tomorrow. In anticipation of a grocery shopping extravaganza, I've been scouring Epicurious for interesting whole foods recipes that I can easily make at home.
What I have planned is the following:
Potential choices for breakfast:
- Plain hot oatmeal with apples
- Whole grains (e.g., brown rice, quinoa) with wilted greens, fried egg and siracha
- Egg white omelet with avocado and wilted greens
- Hot oat and quinoa cereal
- Curried squash and red lentil soup
- Kitchari - a recipe we received through the cleanse - essentially spicy rice and mung beans
- Quinoa and red lentil burgers served with roasted sweet potatoes and wilted greens
- A lentil/cauliflower/brown rice stew from my favorite cookbook, Extending the Table
I'll keep posting pictures of my food, here and in the Cleanse Group Facebook, to keep you inspired and to keep me honest.