Monday, October 5, 2015

The opposite of fasting - cleanse day 1

I'm doing a five-day food cleanse followed by a six-week diet with Liz Vequist in an effort to start feeling fit, active and inspired. The cleanse started on Monday, October 5, 2015.

*****

So what does one eat when one is doing a cleanse in the fall? Take a look.


Breakfast: Standard serving of old fashioned oats with 1/2 an apple, "better butter," and a sprinkle of flax seeds and pumpkin seeds.

Morning snack: 1/2 a European cucumber, with heavily washed peel intact, dipped in lemon/sesame dressing.

Lunch: Homemade kitchari, which is brown Basmati rice with mung beans and aromatic spices, topped with steamed cauliflower and carrots

Afternoon snack: steamed cauliflower

Dinner: Steamed greens with zesty flax seed dressing and a bowl of pumpkin miso soup topped with cilantro

Evening snack (if I decide I want it): 1 cup of frozen grapes, again, heavily washed
I'm definitely not hungry. In spite of eating far less animal protein than I usually do (as in, no animal protein), and putting in 9,100 steps today, 1,600 above my daily goal.

It is 6:30 PM and I haven't yet had my evening snack. Not sure I'll want it. I may keep the grapes to bring to work for an afternoon snack, when I tend to want a sugar pick me up. For now, I'm off to take an Epsom salt bath, which I'll follow-up with a cup of homemade turmeric tea.

By this time tomorrow, I hope the headache that is settling in on the right side of my forehead is gone, and I feel less sweaty.



No comments: