Monday, October 5, 2015

Before - cleanse day 1

I'm doing a five-day food cleanse followed by a six-week diet with Liz Vequist in an effort to start feeling fit, active and inspired. The cleanse started on Monday, October 5, 2015.

*****

This is my cleanse "before" picture, taken Sunday, October 4.


I'm lighter than I was in high school, but feel bloated, heavy and physically tired at least 60% of the time. I'm tired of carrying extra weight around, particularly in my middle and my bottom. You can see my FitBit on my hip; I am "somewhat active," at least by the Livestrong.com standards. But I rarely free strong or energized. You can't see the bags under my eyes. I am a poor sleeper and suspect nutrition and overall health, combined with the very earliest stage of middle-age, are to blame. (And I did not "style" my hair in the morning, and, as a result, am sporting what my husband calls my "Pebbles" look.)

I am not expecting miracles over the next five days.  

However, I AM expecting to:
1. Lay the groundwork to kick my sugar addiction
2. Lay the groundwork to get troublesome lactose out of my system, once and for all
3. Learn what it feels like to invest time and money in my health.
4. Cheat on the "no coffee" rule. 

The cleanse is the precursor to a six-week "Slim, Fit & Sexy" program offered by Liz . It starts on October 22 and runs through December 10.

My expectations for "SFS"? 
1. Kick the sugar habit
2. Kick the lactose habit
3. Reconnect with fast, easy, healthy and delicious ways to eat a vegetarian diet
4. Sleep better
5. Feel less bloated, overcome with allergy symptoms
6. Lose up to 10 pounds
7. Maintain my commitment to 7500 daily steps on weekdays, 10000 on weekends 
8. Cheat on the "no coffee" rule 
9. Self-love and mercy

Stay tuned to see how I do. 

1 comment:

Ann Smith said...

Yay, Gretchen! Great goals! I'm so glad you're participating and I get to feel as if I'm spending the fall with you! The "no coffee" is tricky - I love my morning ritual and I love coffee. I do give it up during cleanses though and it's amazing the feeling of waking up before my alarm, being much more aware of when I'm genuinely tired, going to bed earlier..